Wednesday, April 9, 2008

How You View the World is the Same Way the World Views You


Most people go through life worrying about what others think about them. They’re worried that other people might see them in wrong way, judge them improperly, or just think something bad. Telling someone to not care about what other people think is like saying, “ignore the UFO above your head”—it doesn’t work.

Rather, the path to indifference requires one to become indifferent toward others. The path to freedom from being judged by others requires one to stop judging others. Only when one removes their own prejudices of the world can they accept the world without prejudices.

About a year ago I decided to stop judging people. I just accepted people for what they did and did my best to not label them as good, bad, sluts, assholes, etc. I was talking to a girl and she told me she had sex in her company’s conference room. The next day she said she regretted telling me that and tried to convince me she wasn’t a slut. I calmly told her I wasn’t judging her and she sighed in relief.

In my quest to not judge people, I just accepted that if someone did something, they did it, and that had nothing to do if they were a good or bad person. I turned off my judgmental mindset and it set me free to think about a ton of other things in life.

A few weeks ago, I realized that I stopped worrying about others judging me too. I think, because I knew I wasn’t judging other people, I felt that no one was judging me. Now whether that is true or not doesn’t matter because so long as I think they’re not judging me, that’s good enough.

So I guess the lesson for today’s blog entry is, for anyone to truly become free from the worries of what other people think, one must first stop judging others. The filter through which each person views the world, is the same filter they see the world viewing them.

No comments: