Thursday, November 6, 2008

Be Your Own Model

I used to admire people and try to be like them. One of the most common models among pickup guys is High Hefner. Hefner is the king of social proof. What can be more impressive than walking into a club with an entourage of eight blonde big boobed women? For that reason alone I occasionally watched the Girls Next Door—a show about Hefner’s three girlfriends.

Well, the past few months have shown that Hefner’s three girlfriends weren’t exactly well, his girlfriends. First, Holly (GF1) broke up with Hefner and seemingly instantly started dating magician Criss Angel. Celebrities don’t instantly start dating each other, they say they’re friends for a long time and then slowly say their dating. Hmmm. Today I learned that Kendra (GF2) is engaged to a football player. Engaged? To me that means she’s been having some sort of relationship with the football player for a while. NFL football players don’t just propose to anyone. Lastly Bridget (GF3) is actually already married to someone else. The two are separated, but they’ve been married since 1997.

Point is, what I thought was an awesome situation is really just a train wreck I didn’t know about. The more I tried to model someone, the more I learned about him, and the more obvious his disastrous life became.

I went to a club and saw Bill Bellamy. I thought, this guy’s got more status than anyone else here, but yet all he did was sit in the VIP area without a single girl. Even though I’ve never considered modeling Bill Bellamy, I did think that if I became a celebrity I’d at least have an easier time meeting girls. Nope.

So the point of all this is that people have an idea of someone in their head, but that idea is rarely reality.

From now on, I’m, not going to model anyone but me. More specifically, I’m going to model the me of the future. How would the me of 2 years from now act? What would he do? Would the me of 5 years from now be scared of that? Would he take that crap?

I’m going to create the person I want to be and then he’ll be what I’m trying to become. Now that doesn’t stop me from taking attributes from other guys and modeling those small things, but I’m not going to try and become someone else—no matter how amazing his life currently looks.

No comments: