Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sushi Sasabune

I’m a ballah: I buy the expensive rice, use the super soft toilet paper, and I deep fry foods with extra virgin olive oil. Damn, I’m practically “gator boots with the pimped out Gucci suit.” You know it!

So when my friends told me that Sushi Sasabune had the best sushi in Hawaii, I got a little curious. This is how they sold it:

“You sit at the bar and the mean sushi chef gives you the evil eye. You can’t order anything. Instead, you just eat whatever he puts in front of you. The chef never smiles. He tells you how to eat, what sauce to put or not put, and how to hold your chopsticks. You need to eat everything he puts in front of you. If you eat the food wrong or say “no,” he yells at you. If he says “no soy sauce” don’t even think about putting soy sauce. If he says “one bite,” the food better not touch your front teeth. If you piss him off, he’ll kick you out of the restaurant. Worse, he’ll remember your face for all of eternity so you can’t come back. The food is also really expensive, like $100 per person expensive.”

I’m sold! Where is this place?



After two years of soul searching, I finally grabbed my balls and made reservations.

“Counter or table?” asked the host.

Me: “What would you recommend.” (I knew that “counter” meant “at the mercy of the chef” and “table” meant “order off the menu”)

Host: “Have you been here before?”

Me: “No” (why am I so damn honest?)

Host: “Well let me tell you about Sushi Sasabune.” He said is smug tone. “Sushi Sasabune specializes in the best sushi. We don’t serve California rolls or spicy tuna. If you sit at the counter, you eat the chef’s menu--which varies. . . .”


Me: “Ok, give me the counter for two people at 7 pm.”

At 7 pm I walked in. I expected a small room with a few counter seats and two tables. Instead, the counter sat about a dozen people and there were tables for about another 20-30 people.

I sat down and looked the sushi chef in the eye. Yup, he’s as intimidating as the Seinfeld Soup Nazi.

I’m not going to spoil your visit by telling you want I ate. Half the experience is not knowing what’s coming out and the thrill of being at the mercy of the chef. All I’ll say is that the seafood comes from around the world is a million times better than anything else I’ve ever eaten. Sushi Sasabune serves the best sushi in Hawaii.

And sitting behind me were Charlie, Kate, and Hurley.

Sushi Sasabune
1417 S King St
Honolulu, HI 96814
(808) 947-3800

1 comment:

Willis said...

Nice. We'll go there next time we're in Hawaii.