Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How To Be Lucky: Just Relax and Smell the Roses

Richard Wiseman did an experiment where he asked self-described lucky and unlucky people to read a newspaper and count the photographs. He secretly put a half page ad into the middle with big letters (more than 2” high) saying “tell the experimenter you have seen this and win $50.”

Not surprisingly, the lucky people tended to see it while the unlucky people missed it.

According to Wiseman, “Unlucky people are generally more tense than lucky people, and this anxiety disrupts their ability to notice the unexpected.”

In other words, just relax. And I think I agree with this. Fortunate people seem to be flexible and seem to notice more. Meanwhile, habitually unlucky people tend to ignore notice minor things and stress out over not important issues. As I think about lucky and unlucky people in my life, I do agree that my lucky friends tend to worry much less than my unlucky friends.

Said simply, it wasn’t luck that helped me find the $20 bill on the ground, it was me noticing it on the ground.

Read this blog entry here

He also has a book: The Luck Factor: The Four Essential Principles on Amazon for about $10.

No comments: