Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Know I Don't Know You Know Me


I’ve come to the swift kick in the ass revelation that I need to stop worrying when complete strangers recognize me. Now days, not many things make me react in utter disbelief or pause to the point I don’t know what to say . . . except when someone says “you’re . . . .” or “is your last name . . . . ?” Seriously, how do all these people know who I am? Do I look like a celebrity?

I think I have decent memory so I can at least recognize people who I’ve met, but when people I’ve never met know my siblings or know where I went to school, it just makes me stop talking and start thinking “how does this person know?” That stops me from saying anything and destroys the entire interaction. I freeze up not knowing what to do. Worse is that this has been happening more and more over the past two years.

I think I just need to be comfortable with being a Z-list celebrity and not think anything of it when I walk into a bar and girls stare at me with a “I know that guy” look.

(The title is not supposed to make sense, I just thought it was a cool brain twister)

No comments: