Friday, December 28, 2007

Never Leave Anything On The Table

A few days ago, I found out that a guy I recently met died of cancer.

I met him a few months ago at my friend’s bachelor party in Montreal.

I've never really known someone who has died so young.

Before him, one of my high school classmates had committed suicide. Seeing as I got into fistfight with him in 9th grade, I didn’t really mourn the loss.

Twelve of us flew up to Montreal for the bachelor party. The bachelor was one of my good friends since 7th grade so most of the guys were my high school buddies. A few of the other guys were the bachelor’s work friends or college friends I hadn’t met. A few hours on the plane with them and I knew it would be a total blast.

Naturally, we partied all night; clubs, bars, strip clubs, malls, and the ridiculous Montreal nightlife.

If you ever get a chance to go to Montreal, GO!

You can thank me in a drunken comment post from a yet to be named hotel lobby after riding the tricycle.

Well, on one of the mornings, I woke up early and hung out with one of the guys from California. He was mellow, but fun. We went to a museum, walked to Chinatown, took the subway, and toured the city.

I then came back to Honolulu and learned he died a few months later. It never crossed my mind he was drying or that he only had a few months left to live.

Life is short. Live each day to the fullest. What would you do if your days were numbered? Well, your days ARE numbered, so go out and do it. Travel the world. See the sights. Touch people’s lives. Make the world a better place. But most of all, never leave anything on the table.

No comments: