Friday, January 4, 2008

The Emotional Commitment Decision Leap

When I decide to do something, I almost never look back. I don’t regret my decisions, no matter how stupid they look today. Problem is that it often takes me a while to actually make that decision.

I’ve been shopping for an HDTV for the past two years.

Today, I made the decision to buy a new TV: a Sharp, HDTV, 52 inches, LCD, 1080p, blah blah blah. I had all the discounts lined up. I was going to make Best Buy honor their online price ($300 cheaper than the store sticker) and sign up for DirecTV (another $300 off) (more HD stations and cheaper than cable or Dish Network). And I was going to use my Christmas Best Buy gift cards.

I got all my ducks lined up including borrowing a van to transport my giant technology beast home.

At that moment I made the decision to buy the TV--the emotional commitment and decision to do something. I took the leap, no looking back, no regretting if prices fall next month, no stressing if the new OLED or Laser TV’s might come out next year. I made the decision.

BB: “Hi, Best Buy TV’s, how can I help you?”

Me: “I would like to buy the Sharp blah blah TV. And can you guys honor your online price?

BB: “Sure”

Me: “And can I combine that with the DirecTV offer?”

BB: “no”

Me: “what? . . . . . .

Well, it just so happens that those two offers are not combinable.

The point is that my emotional state is now all messed up. I made the decision and now I can’t follow through. I pictured the big TV in my home up against the wall looking quite pretty..

Up until today, I’ve never really thought about making the decision and then being forced to go back on it. I practically considered buying the TV for $300 more than I planned because I already made the decision.

I’m not saying emotional commitment decisions for me are bad, just that I need to learn to recognized them, use them, and when to break them if the circumstance change.

Now I want a big TV more than ever.

No comments: