Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Same "Where" Wrong "When"

At first, I thought I could learn to understand women by talking to them and reading their blogs. I was wrong. First, girls only seem to tell me what they think, not what they feel--which gets me only 10% of the information. Second, girls (or should I say people) who write blogs are all crazy. Yes, I did say that.

In any case, I’m still on the perpetual reconnaissance mission to find dating blogs written by women under 40. If anyone finds any good ones feel free to send the links my way.

Admittedly, I “found” Kim Fassler’s blog for the sole reason of “wow, this girl’s kinda cute.”

I probably would have dismissed her “non-dating” blog, but for a very interesting entry titled “Single & out of college: Now what?”. The gist of the entry was “how does a single out of college 20-something meet someone?” She went though “bars,” “clubs,” “concerts,” “co-workers,” “bowling alleys,” and “the beach” only to put them all in the “no” category.

Well Kim, you’re looking in the right “where,” but the wrong “when.”

For bars and clubs, go early. You’re not going to find a gainfully employed “good boy” at Pipeline Café at 2:30 am on a Wednesday. But you may find a good boy at Indigo at 5:30 pm on a Friday who’s there for “pau hana” (after work) drinks.

I’ve had the best experiences meeting girls at 9:00 p.m. on a Saturday in an almost empty club. That same club becomes a near total skank-fest four hours later. Where do those good girls go you ask? They leave the club and go to sleep at 11:00 pm.

As for concerts, bowling alleys, and the beach, hrmm. I can’t help you there.

As for co-workers, don’t date co-workers, BUT do date their friends. Or better yet, make friends with your coworker’s friends and date the friends’ friends. That way if the mission goes south, you can eject without dire consequences.

Lastly, the best and tried and true place to meet “someone” is a house party. Fanagle a solid introduction (if it’s a house party you will know someone will know that special someone), drop your A-Game, and watch the dating blog turn into a relationship blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting take on the "timing" issue -- I actually hadn't considered that.

I guess I should have maybe pointed out that I usually hear most of the complaints about meeting people from my guy friends. One friend was the inspiration for that particular blog entry. I'm not too big on hitting the clubs myself, since most of the men there seem to be, well, there to pick up girls.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any intention of doing a "dating blog" or a "relationship blog." When it comes to both, I'm afraid I'm rather dysfunctional and should probably be the last person to dish out advice. I couldn't begin to tell you what I "feel" about relationships.

Anyway, thank you for stopping by Quarterlife Cafe, and I hope all of this doesn't sound too "crazy" to you.