Monday, January 14, 2008

Judging People

I’m not sure if I don’t judge people, I’m just really accepting of people, or I simply have a high threshold for extreme personalities.

Another weekend, another round of events. Sometimes, I wish I could spend a weekend entirely at home doing nothing but yard and housework. Or watch 20 movies in a weekend--that would be great.

Another weekend, and a great house party hosted by one of my good friends. She does have awesome parties and I do my best to skip out on everything else just so I can make it. Well, this time it was a masquerade party. No surprise, I find myself a bright red mask and pimp it hard. I pull out a red skinny tie and rock it to match my mask.

I find myself dressing to stand out instead of dressing to fit in. I aspire to always be the best dressed person in the room. Peacock theory I guess.


As with many parties I happen to be at, someone always causes a scene. This time, it was a girl in a rather thin translucent dress. Short story: was she wearing underwear? Now honestly, I didn’t care. After seeing girls get drunk, jump into a pool, and run around with nothing but dripping wet white clothes and then nothing at all, the idea of a girl going commando is curious at best.

No surprise, she gathered lots of attention from the other guys.

Naturally, she also gathered lots of “hate” from the other girls. “Seriously, she’s not wearing any underwear!!” and “when she stood by the window you could totally see EVERYTHING!!” they said. “who would wear something like that?” “what a slut!”

To say the honest truth, I looked once and couldn’t tell if she wore a small thong or nothing at all. It didn’t matter to me.

What interested me was how I (internally) didn’t judge her. A few months ago I read about how I shouldn’t judge other people. I don’t even know what judging someone really means; I just took it as don’t pass judgment on people or make assumptions about people based upon a few things--so I don’t, and I don’t even know why.

I think it is something like, if people see that if I don’t judge others, they will also see that I won’t judge them, and that leads to people thinking I’m a better person . I’m doing an awful job of explaining something I don’t understand.

So here I am. I just accept that someone might have been showing off her goods a fully lit party, and I just accept that. I didn’t make presumptions on what type of person she is, what she’s like, or her personality.

No comments: