Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Gender Ratio in Honolulu

I managed to find data on Honolulu. Short story is that there are still more men than women, but it isn't as uneven as my previous charts depict.

The data had the ages grouped by 5 year increments. 0-4, 5-9, 10-14, 15-19, etc. Since i didn't know how to graph groups of ages, I just averaged the ages. Therefore 20-24 became "22" and 35-39 became "37".

(for full size, click the chart).

Interesting how the big peak is still around the 20-24 age level. I'm not sure what to make of this. Maybe boys are more likely to come home from college? Or less likely to go to college. I really don't know. In any case, the peak didn't push itself across time as I previously assumed.

Here's a little more information on the data: I got it from the Hawaii government site here and here is the direct file. The data is for Honolulu county (Oahu) for the date of July 1, 2006. The data was released on August 9, 2007.

No comments: