Sunday, January 6, 2008

Watching an RSD Clinic at the W

Saturday night, we’re out at the W, chilling and doing the club thing.

I walk around and lo and behold I see Owen Cook aka “Tyler Durden”. Who is Tyler Durden you ask? Well, now that’s a good question. Tyler is a co-founder and (seemingly) the front-man for Real Social Dynamics, a date coaching company. As the website says, “RSD specializes in dating advice, image consultation, public representation, and integrating clients into social scenes.” In other words, RSD teaches guys how to pick up girls. He was a “character in Neil Strauss’ book The Game, but he has since then reinvented himself from the ass raping portrayal he received in the bestseller. But you already know that.

Tyler is quite unmistakable. He’s a big guy with Doc Brown (Back to the Future) hair. Check out his pictures at on his blog.

Every time I see Tyler out and about (which is quite often), I always wonder “is he running a clinic?” I’m curious to see what $2000 gets the wannabe pickup artist. Sure I can the descriptions and reviews online, but nothing illustrates a program than seeing it upfront and personal.

With Tyler was his ever present side-kick. Now, I don’t know this guy’s name (although I was introduced to him once) and he looks nothing like Tyler nor does he act like Tyler nor does he have quite the presence as Mr. Durden. We’ll call him Mini-T. Mini-T seems like a completely normal guy with an impeccable fashion sense. I wish I had half his style.

Anyway, back to the clinic. Their one student was a tall white dude with hair just like Tyler’s but curly. Let’s call him Clone-T.

Now here’s the part where you guys realize I’m crazy. So my friend and I walk up near Tyler and Clone-T to see exactly what $2000 and two days of seminar and “field training” gets a regular schmo.

We stand their trying not to look directly at Tyler, Mini-T or Clone-T, but trying to hear what’s going on. We joke around like, OMG we can’t let off like we know who he is, so we gotta act like chodes. We lift up our drinks, bend our elbows, and start protecting ourselves with our plastic cups. I then grab my drink with both hands.

Side note: its widely agreed that holding your drink near your waist/hips is more alpha and less pathetic than bending your elbow and protecting yourself with your drink. I’m not sure if I agree with this, but I’ve adopted it; so much that I now—without thought—carry my drink at my waist.

We’re in our undercover afc/chode mode and laughing hysterically at us trying to be afc/chode. Why this was funny is beyond my comprehension, but I was having a good time.

So we’re standing nearby and I see Clone-T walk up to one of my friends standing in the restroom line.

At the time I couldn’t hear them, but this is how she said the conversation went:

[she’s holding out her phone, typing something and ignoring everyone]

Clone-T: Why don’t I give you my number to put into your phone?

Her: psss [looks at him, gives him a “you’re weird face” and looks back at her phone.]

Clone-T: “I’m here with my friends and they’re showing me all the good Hawaii clubs.”

Her: [continues to ignore him]

Clone-T: “My name is Pierre. I’m from France, what’s your name?”

Her: Janet (her “club name”)

And then he bails out.

I gotta give him credit, he hung in there.

She though, thought he was weird and was not impressed by his “pickup” at all. Now I’m not sure if she said that or she really meant it, but she didn’t look happy to have the guy talking to her. I debrief her on everything pickup and it was enlightening conversation about men, women, and talking to girls at clubs—most of which she’d probably get really mad if I wrote here.

Through out the night, I saw Clone-T get shot down over and over again. I never once saw him talk to the same girl for more than 5 minutes. To be fair, I only periodically glanced in his direction so it is possible he did talk to multiple girls for extended time and walked out with a fist full of numbers or a girl on each arm, but all I saw was the multiple girls part.

Now to also be fair, I don’t know what Clone-T was like before the seminar. Pickup to me is about how a guy can improve himself. Becoming the greatest pickup artist in the world is not an admirable feat in my book; improving oneself and become a better and stronger person is how I keep score. If Clone-T was a quiet unstyled dork and RSD transformed him into an outgoing (which he clearly was) guy who had no fear of approaching any girl in the club, then color me impressed. If RSD made him try new things he'd never do on his own, then wow. If he needed to pay $2000 to make someone push him far outside his comfort zone, then that may be worthwhile.

No comments: